Wednesday, March 16, 2011

We are good, and didn't win - Lessons we've learned from losing.


(Disclaimer - This is going to read a little like a journal entry. However, the topic I believe is universal.)


Tonight was the Foothills School Variety Show.
Rewind a month.

Upon hearing about this show we decided it was time to make a family band. Brooklyn and Emily are finally getting good enough on the guitar to keep a song going and with Pappy as our "rock" we can really rock and roll. Aaron is steady on the conga drum and Ian holds the tambourine beat. Lucas joins in on the chorus and we all sing for a full scale sound. Brooklyn's voice has bloomed into a solo performer and the boys are always on key. We played "Everybody" by Ingrid Michaelson.





We loved it! Practicing together was one of the best things our family has ever spent time doing. The anticipation to the performance was exciting. We were the first act and we nailed it. We started the show with a bang.

30 acts later, it was over. The crowd enjoyed intermission while the judges decided the fate of the winners. Everyone was happy, feeling good and congratulating each other on great talents.

Then the winners were announced. There were a LOT of winners. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in many categories. Over half the participants walked away with prizes. Individual prizes for "best this" and "best that". Finally the grand prize winner...and nope, not us.

This is not the first time I've been passed up for a prize. In fact, now that I think about it, I've never won anything to my recollection. Even my childhood soccer team lost every game. I've managed through life and think I haven't suffered much for not winning. But somehow tonight is different. For the first time, I now have my kids at my side as the prizes are passed out to others. I have to somehow show them how great they were tonight, despite being overlooked by the judges. I have to capture that feeling of confidence, and self assurance they felt as they walked off the stage, before the winners were announced.

There was another little girl that did an AMAZING gymnastics performance and didn't get recognized. For a moment I was glad we didn't win either. Because, I was able to go to her, pull her tear stained hands from her face and say,
"Did you like my family band?"
She whimpered, "Yes, it was my favorite."
"Guess what. I didn't win anything!" I said to her. "I thought we did really well, and we didn't win either." So I asked her to give me a hug, and her little hug, sharing the pain of defeat, was one of the sweetest things I've ever felt. I wouldn't have had that hug if the Family Band had won.

So, losing isn't as fun as winning. In fact, it's hard to work through. I've mastered losing individually by becoming fairly non-competitive. However, tonight I would have liked to see my kids win. I would have liked to have them receive that external verification that they are exceptional. It's one thing to tell yourself, but it's another to have it confirmed by an audience. They worked hard to develop this talent they put out there tonight, and those prizes blew the wind out of their sails.

So tonight, we are learning to find contentment with ourselves, without the praise of trophies. I know we were good. We worked hard, we did the best we could and we left it on the stage. Brooklyn's strum was strong and steady, her voice was beautiful. The fullness I felt to have my dad, husband, and three kids with me singing is something I can't top. It's doing my favorite thing, with some of my favorite people.

Now give me some ideas on how to pass that joy to my kids who are feeling like they are not winners...

4 comments:

auntie libby said...

if i remember right, once a teacher accused cori of plagiarism or cheating after she turned in a writing assignment, because a little child could not possible have written something that good. i think that might be the same with your kids. they are so good that others casually and quickly write them off because "how can they be that good" something must be wrong.

your teaching moment though will stay with them a life time. the joy in pappy's voice as he told me of the upcoming event was priceless. you are a good mother. you are a good daughter. i am proud of you, your family and their awesome talent! sending big hugs of congratulations and love.

Nonny said...

I wish I could have voted. You guys sounded amazing and Brooklyn is getting so good on that guitar. I am so proud to be part of your family.

I recommend you guys get the grand prize for all time.

I love you all.

coriconnors said...

So the fact that it is after 3 am and I don't have any solid strength left in me right now might have something to do with my tears, but I love the tenderness of this post. And the honesty.
What this experience does, including (not in spite of) the loss is seal your beautiful talented family tighter together in love and devotion. Winning would not have done the same thing. It would have felt better though.
We could send Gram over to hit the judges for you!
I ADORED the video of your performance. I went over to John's to babysit early this morning and the first thing he did was pull it up and play it for me. It made us all SO HAPPY! I like competitions because they can make us refine and perfect our work because we know it is going up against other peoples' refined perfected work. But I hate competitions because judging them is SO arbitrary!
John had to judge Farmington's Got Talent two weeks ago. There were 4 judges. Two of them, including John, selected one particular performer as their number 1. When the results came out their choice for first got nothing. The way they added up scores was crazy. The judges don't add them up. And so it goes.
Trust me, and I'm not just saying this because I adore all of you: that performance was KILLER! I didn't see the others, but you were GRAND PRIZE material from what I saw and heard!
So go do it again, just for the fun of it, and see what the audience does.
Yay for you for facilitating this, Em!
Brookie - you have got the goods girl! And Ian, killer rhythm!

Ashley C. said...

your band was rockin. and this post made me cry. you are such a darling mom. when you get it all figured out, call me so i can teach my own kids.

miss you.