Saturday, July 16, 2011

Leaving on a Jet Plane


Monday, July 18 I fly out to Washington DC filling my new role as a US Youth Ambassador Mentor. I'm not sure what access to the internet I'll have there, but for now I will post my pre-adventure feelings.

1. Uneasy about leaving my family. I am SO BLESSED to have the best husband and mom to hold down my normal responsibilities for the weeks I'm gone. I know they will all be fine. However, I might be a huge blubbering mess leaving them. I prefer to say I will be gone for 4 weeks rather than a month. It is easier on my heart.

2. Excited to see Washington DC as an Ambassador Mentor. I've been there before, but never with the kind of access to the embassy and service projects we will have this time.

3. ECUADOR! I get to return to South America. It has been 14 years since I was in a Spanish speaking country. TOO LONG considering being a Spanish teacher is my livelihood now. I will be in Quito most of the time, with a few days in the Amazonian region, as well as a day or two in an indigenous region. I will stay with host families, and visit children's homes and an orphanage. We will do some service projects down there, as well as spend time touring and getting to know more about the country in general. AMAZING OPPORTUNITY, right!?!

I have the same feelings I've had before every big thing I've done in my life. (college, mission, marriage, having babies, new jobs, etc.) I guess that is a good sign. Hopefully I will be able to post while I'm gone (I'll be on facebook occasionally at the least), but if not...nos vemos en agosto.

No comments: