Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Finale

We continued our fun all week wake boarding, and surfing. One of the highlights was when we put two boats next to each other so their wakes would meet up and we would surf the center of the wakes. SO FUN!!! Of course Aaron was a natural and not only was able to let go of the rope, but also rode for a LONG TIME.

I never got to the point of letting go of the rope, but it was fun regardless.
Sunday was our last day on the houseboat and we spent it going on a historical hike to "Hole in the Rock". Down this crack the pioneers brought 80 wagons and 250 people to cross the Colorado River. Amazing! We did our share of suffering there too. As soon as we arrived at the bottom of the canyon to hike up, Brooklyn threw up. She was a tough little hiker and tried to keep it from slowing her down, but she and I ended up hanging out along the trail while the others went to the summit.
Emily & Brooklyn making memories at "Barf in the Rock"
Everyone else at the top.
Cutest picture of a 5 year old boy.Aaron and his little hikers.

There are no pictures of what happened next... and we are all grateful.

We embarked on the four hour ride to return the houseboat back to "the slip". Brooklyn puking all the way, and one by one every member of our party beginning to feel queezy. By the time we pulled in to the slip most of us were either running to the bathroom, or puking over the edge of the boat. Was it the food from the refrigerator on the fritz? Was it the germs from the little boy that was sick a few days prior? We will never know. What we do know is that we were all miserable. Aaron and I were in no shape to drive, so we opted to check into the hotel at Bullfrog Marina. It was a sad scene. Brooklyn rested in bed (over the worst of it after being sick all day) while the rest of us squished into the bathroom. We have never had family unity quite like that. By around 9:30 p.m. I could tell we needed some help and I called the medical clinic. They said we needed to come in and so we headed over there just in time. Aaron and I were severely dehydrated from being sick and they immediately hooked Aaron up to an iv and after 4 pokes to get it in he was on his road to recovery. I tried to reassure the kids that Daddy would be fine but it was unsettling for everyone to see him in a wheel chair, then hooked up to an iv. After tending to the kids and getting everyone settled I was also hooked up to an iv.

The following picture is the next day while we left Lake Powell. We were determined to continue on to Moab to see Arches National Park. At first glance this might simply look like a not so great family picture, but if you could feel the effort going into those feeble smiles you would know that this is the happiest we could look after the night we had just gotten through.

But all's well that ends well. With a case of water and Propel powder in tow we made it through the rest of our vacation. We snacked on Saltines and enjoyed unlimited electrolite enhanced beverages. Arches National Park was gorgeous. It made it all worthwhile. I'm glad we didn't wimp out and skip it.

How ya feelin'?



6 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, I'm jealous of the houseboat and Lake Powell part, but not so much the sick stomach and trip to the hospital part. Glad you are all feeling better and the trip was all in all a success.

Susie said...

Yes, Arches is well worth the trip. Though I don't know if I would have been tough enough to stick it out, under the circumstances. Way to go.

Zumba Girl said...

THat sounds like so much fun and drama all rolled into one!! That is my kind of Vacation!! Glad you are back safe and well.

williamsfam5 said...

Who is the girl who took out gluten?

Ashley C. said...

what a fun trip. i am so sorry about the getting sick part. yuck. that is no fun. i think we average a trip to the hospital or er every other trip we go one. it is always good to factor that in! glad you guys made it home safe!!

The Snow Queen said...

Gross! I can't believe you still continued on after that kind of barf fest! (I'm definately not the girl who took out gluten, I think I live on carbs.) Your family is beautiful and your husband is oh so talented. Last time I water skied I hurt everywhere. I have never felt so old.

I don't know now if I'm going to make it up for the Reunion. I will have to drive with all the munchkins by myself. Dave has to work. I have done it before, with three, but I don't know if I'm up for it... I'm waiting to see how I feel as we get closer.