Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Anniversary Aaron...and Happy Valentine's Day too.

Eleven years ago Aaron and I got married in the Boise LDS Temple. We chose February 14, not because it was Valentine's Day, but because it was the Saturday of Presidents Day weekend and I had an extra day off school. I was in my last semester at BYU and when we got engaged on November 1 the idea of waiting through a whole semester for me to graduate seemed WAY TOO LONG. So we pulled out the calendar and discovered there was a little window in February when I could squeek out one more day out of classes without homework piling up for a honeymoon.

I tried to scan in a picture of our wedding (since all our pictures are pre-digital era), but the scanner says there is no usb attached, even though it is and I have checked at least 10 times. But my technological difficulties are not what this blog is about. But this is a perfect example of why Aaron is so important to me.

I need Aaron. He is my best friend. He teaches me and I teach him. We love each other because we depend on each other. He fixes all things that have wires and cords. He randomly spoils me. For example, he bought me a new snowboarding jacket, new boots, and new sunglasses last week for no reason other than I wanted those things. He put Chistmas lights up around the house the way I wanted them, even though he would have been happy without the peaks of the house lit. He goes on a date with me every week. He packed my lunch for me two times last week. He turns the other cheek. He strives to improve himself and I see results. He can get the kids to do things that I can't. I suppose I could go on and on.
I've heard a lot of complaining lately about how pointless Valentine's Day is. I think a day dedicated to the person you consider most important is a good idea. I know that we should show our love everyday, and we do. I mentioned to a friend though that I think everyday is like practice and Valentine's Day is the game. It's an opportunity to showcase our affection that we feel year round.

So get out there and
SCORE!


3 comments:

Columbia Village Gropps said...

I like your analogy of Valentine's Day is the game and every other day is practice. I love Valentine's day and I love the practice up to the big game! Appreciating our loved ones everyday is what life is all about. You are a great example of that. Love your last photo... you scoring, that was sweet! What did you guys do for your Valentine's day/Anniversary?

Keeping Up With The Joneses said...

We love you guys! Happy Valentines-Wedding Day you guys. Enjoy scoring!

Katie Riggs Hansen said...

Well Happy Anniversary to my favorite couple who know the value of a long weekend for wedding festivities.

I am glad you are married because I like you as a team and I like what your team brings to the game.

Much love from your family in the South.