Wednesday, March 4, 2009

It's Lent


 Wikipedia says: Lent, in Christian tradition, is the period of the liturgical year leading up to Easter. Conventionally it is described as being forty days long, though different denominations calculate the forty days differently. In many denominations it is observed as a period of fasting and prayer, and this practice was virtually universal in Christendom until the Reformation[1]. The forty days represent the time that, according to theBibleJesus spent in the desert before the beginning of his public ministry, where he endured temptation bySatan.[2].

The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer — through prayerpenitencealmsgivingand self-denial — for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of theResurrection of Jesus Christ.

Lent in 2009 started on Wednesday, the 25th of February and will continue for 46 days until Saturday, the 11th of April.

As I'm sure many of you know, I am a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The LDS church doesn't observe the tradition of Lent. However, I was raised Catholic and went to the Church with my mom and brother almost every week for the 1st 14 years of my life. At the ripe old age of 14 I decided that I would like to begin to learn about other churches and I began attending the Methodist church (because they invited me to sing in their touring choir). I sang at their Sunday services for the following 4 years.

My intention here, isn't to write my conversion story. That was just a little background information. 

Growing up, I loved the season of Lent. Christmas and Easter were on an even playing field in my opinion. I loved the build up Lent provided to Easter Sunday. Each week, adding another candle. My favorite was Palm Sunday, when we each would receive a reed upon entering the Cathedral. I would spend the hour of mass imagining myself in Jerusalem when Jesus rode through on his donkey.

I remember my mom's teachings about the Easter Story. I remember the excitement of Easter morning. I still feel it.

This year I have decided to observe Lent again. Not because my church tells me to; on the contrary. I am recommitting myself to something that brought self-awareness throughout my childhood. In retrospect, I see the lessons learned, and character developed through this tradition. I learned that I believe in God and can feel connection in prayer.  I have will power. I can sacrifice. I can commit. I can improve.

Regardless of denomination, the truths I learned growing up built my foundation in Christianity and there I have always stood firm. Thanks Mom.  

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Props to you. In highschool my friends and I always chose something to give up for Lent, funny considering none of us were Catholic (and I was the only LDS one among them) but it was such a good lesson in self improvement.

auntie libby said...

i love this blog. i love your mom. i love you!