Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Mother's Treasure


I found this mini-tea cup in the dining room the other day. It was basking in the sunbeams with this Dandy Lion drowning in the water. All of its yellow petals drenched and withered. The stem so short that it sank in the cup. I quickly rescued it and propped it up on the edge of the plastic cup. I have never enjoyed a flower so much. I didn't know why it was in my house or who put it there. It just made me smile that I have three little people in my home that see this weed, that most people despise, as a bit of beauty to bring inside. I know it is only a brief time that I will find such small pleasures in the dining room. This little plastic cup, with a drowning weed is such a symbol of the beauty of motherhood. Happy Mother's Day to all you ladies that have ever given your time and energy to receive a weed in a cup to fill your heart.

2 comments:

Susie said...

I love this post. It serves as a great reminder that the bedtime battles and the temper tantrums are a small price to pay for the pitter-patter of little feet and the dandelions in a cup full of water. So, so cute.

coriconnors said...

Em-
You see with a poet's heart. Always have. Makes for lots of tears and lots of smiles and in the end it makes for deeper joy. Your kids are blessed to have such a mother!